• info@anavrinadviser.com
  • +91 728 982 2078, 011 44754635

Canada Spouse, Child or Other Dependent Visa

One of the most popular streams of Canadian immigration, family sponsorship programs make it easy for citizens and permanent residents to bring their spouse and immediate family members to Canada with reduced processing times, because Canada knows that family should never be put on hold.

The Canada Family class allows applicants or Canadian citizens or permanent residents to reunite with their family members. Under this visa class, you can sponsor your husband/wife, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or another eligible relative (like parent or grandparent) for Canadian permanent residence.

To apply under this category, the sponsor and person being sponsored need to meet the eligibility criteria.

Here are different categories under the Canada Family Visa Class:

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Sponsorships

Take advantage of an accelerated 12-month processing period by sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residence, whether they are living in Canada with a valid, temporary visa, or residing abroad. Applicants who are living in Canada may also qualify for an open work permit, giving couples the chance to relieve some of their financial burdens.

A spousal open work permit gives sponsored individuals the ability to work in Canada while their sponsorship application is being processed. Since Canada recognizes common-law partnerships, you may be eligible to apply for spousal sponsorship if you and your partner are not married but have been living together for a period of at least one year.

Child or Other Dependent Sponsorship

Canadian permanent residents and citizens can sponsor their biological or adopted children for Canadian permanent residence. To be eligible under this category, the child or dependent sponsored must be under 22, unmarried and should not have any children of their own.

Parent or Grandparent Sponsorship

Canada’s Family Class immigration category allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parent(s) or grandparent(s) through the Parent and Grandparent Program, or PGP.

Sponsored parents and grandparents become permanent residents of Canada, with all the benefits that come with it. This includes the right to live and work in Canada without restriction on location, time, or sector, as well as access to publicly-funded health care and other services. Ultimately, sponsored parents and grandparents may become Canadian citizens.

To be eligible under this program, the sponsor has to meet certain conditions like proof of financial support etc. Sponsors who cannot support their parents or grandparent permanently may apply for the Super Visa – a long-term multiple-entry visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian PR holders.

What are the benefits of family Sponsorship programs?

Following are the benefits of Canada family sponsorship programs:

Ø Family members sponsored under this category are not required to clear any points cut-offs to be eligible. 

Ø Family members who get a PR Visa through a family sponsorship program have the right to live, work or study in Canada.

Ø Access to government-funded healthcare, free education till 18 years of age, Canada Pension Plan benefits, Old age security, and Guaranteed Income Supplement. 

Ø Parents living in Canada on a dependent visa as permanent residents can apply for Canadian citizenship after three years.

Who can’t sponsor their spouse, partner or child

You can’t sponsor your spouse, partner or child if:

Ø you’re less than 18 years old

Ø you won’t live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents

Ø you’re not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

Ø you’re a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit

Ø your permanent residence application is still in process

Ø You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.

Ø you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor (if applicable)

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner if you:

Ø were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago

Ø are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or child if you:

Ø you have already applied to sponsor the spouse, parent or child you are currently seeking to sponsor and a decision on that application hasn’t been made

Ø are in jail, prison, or a penitentiary

Ø didn’t pay back:

o an immigration loan

o a performance bond

o court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support (not applicable if you live in Quebec)

Ø didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past (not applicable if you live in Quebec)

Ø declared bankruptcy and are not discharged (not applicable if you live in Quebec)

Ø receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

Ø you were convicted of attempting, threatening to commit or committing a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada

Ø can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

Ø You’re at least 18 years old

Ø You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

o If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

o You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

Ø You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

Ø you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

If you live outside Quebec

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. We call this promise an undertaking.

The undertaking commits you to:

Ø providing financial support for your sponsored family members, starting when they become permanent residents

Ø repaying any provincial social assistance your sponsored family members get during that time

Also, you and your sponsored family members need to agree to certain responsibilities during the undertaking period. We call this the sponsorship agreement.

The sponsorship agreement means that:

Ø you’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members

Ø the person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members

When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a 

In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or form that includes the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement.

Income requirement

dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

Ø you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or

Ø you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

For more information follow below link:


For more information or to see if you qualify, please make an enquiry with one of our qualified and experienced Migration Consultants.

Request a call back